Thursday, July 5, 2007

Back in Hong Kong




After my long stay in Newcastle, I had a short break in Hong Kong wherfe I caught up with my HK friends (or some of them) again. Most significant was the time I spent with my friend Lesley who is leaving HK for the UK after about 20 years in the former colony. We've been close friends for most of my time in HK and her leaving will make it less like home to me when I visit. She's making a new life for herself and her boys so I hope it all goes well. Of course we'll keep in contact: she'll be my first port of call when I go to the UK. We had a couple of nostalgic lunches at Lucy's restaurant, our favourite haunt, which I've referred to before. As well our friend Don from Sharja was in town so we were able to touch base with him as well.

At the last minute, I decided to accompany Jack to Shanghai on his business trip. It was my third trip so I was able to take it easy and just wander around. We went on a short cruise on the river so we could see the Bund and again to see the Peace band playing the jazz oldies. You may know (dear reader) that the Peace band is an institution in Shanghai, all of its members being at least in their seventies, I think. Come to think of it, that's not much older than me. Oh well.

I also took a short term job in her college (Tsing Yi) for a few days so was gainfully employed once more. Life was very hectic as I had to make plans not only to go to France for the summer, but also to move out of our flat in Hung Hom Bay. We're downsizing again!

No comments: